What Funder Collaboratives Are and Aren’t
According to experienced grantmakers, most funder collaboratives have these characteristics:
- Information sharing
- Opportunities to leverage and maximize resources
- Mutually developed structure and guidelines for operation
- Attention to systemic solutions
- Many (but not all) funder collaboratives carry out joint funding
Funders also have views about what a collaborative is not:
- A collaborative should be more than a regranting mechanism
- A true collaborative takes into account the goals and perspectives of a diverse group of funders, not just one person or a small group that has already decided what should be supported and how.
Takeaways are critical, bite-sized resources either excerpted from our guides or written by Candid Learning for Funders using the guide's research data or themes post-publication. Attribution is given if the takeaway is a quotation.
This takeaway was derived from Funder Collaboratives.